Espousal Strategies, LLC is a boutique government, community, and public affairs firm focused on collaborative problem solving, equity & inclusion, issue lobbying, and coalition building. Led by chief executive officer Johnell Bell, a national government affairs, public engagement, and transit equity leader - and the Principal Equity Officer for the Interstate Bridge Replacement Program in Oregon and Washington. Espousal features a full and diverse team of professionals that provides clients with strategic counsel and creative, winning solutions. Espousal Strategies meets each client’s needs with a seamlessly integrated array of expertise and insight.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
At Espousal Strategies, we know that effective, authentic diversity and inclusion operationalization can be challenging to develop and sustain.
Our team features years of experience in the design and implementation of effective diversity and inclusion initiatives, with an emphasis on participation and compliance programs for disadvantaged business enterprises (DBEs) and minority, women, and emerging small businesses (MWESB).
Our diversity, equity, and inclusion services include:
• In-depth assessments of organizational DEI policies and practices
• Strategic planning, design, and implementation
• Transit equity consultation, including development and implementation of equity indices
• Demographic analysis and reporting
• Business, strategic, and operational plan development
• Regulatory compliance assistance, including Title VI compliance, training, and monitoring
• Technical assistance program development for DBE and MWESB entities
• Executive coaching for elected and appointed leaders, and senior and middle management
• Supplier diversity support and retention
• Contractor and owner compliance and monitoring
• Using equity lenses for program development and implementation
& legislative advocacy
Clients rely on Espousal Strategies’ ability to work closely with public, community, and invested stakeholders from local neighborhoods and communities to the nation’s capital. Our team leverages its political expertise and relationships to lead various types of campaigns, lobbying and advocacy efforts ranging from local initiatives to state-wide issues.
Our government relations services include:
• Public policy, research, and analysis
• Campaign, advocacy, political action, and organizing strategy
• Lobbying strategies, elected official engagement, and relationship management
• Intelligence gathering and issue monitoring
• Legislative, executive, and regulatory strategy, training, design, and implementation
• Management of federal appropriations requests
& public affairs
Espousal Strategies has the on-the-ground experience to provide our clients access to the appropriate points of influence to advance their effectiveness. Our team ensures that we engage in critical dialogue with the right stakeholders and are well-positioned to assist our clients in accessing actionable political intelligence to make informed, strategic, messaging, and engagement decisions.
Our community engagement and public affairs services include:
• Developing strategic plans to manage public and political issues and processes
• Coalition-building, negotiation, and strategies
• Authentic, effective stakeholder engagement in community and public decision-making processes
• Siting and permitting projects
• Civic engagement and education
• Public outreach
• Communications, messaging, public and media relations
• Group facilitation and process design